Monday, February 20, 2012

THE MAGIC TOOL - DISCIPLINE

I was reading Jane Green's, 'The Beach House' where one of the characters who after many years rediscovers her muse and writes again, says she has learned the secret - the magic tool that separates the true writers from the people who merely dream of being writers, who have a wonderful idea but never get started, or get started but never finish. She has learned the secret of discipline, of plowing through even when it feel like she has nothing to say; of writing even when there are days, like today, when she is fighting the excitement of the party (or anything else that our lives may preoccupy us with).

Discipline. It's so true, isn't it? To be disciplined and to write, no matter what. Even to use the obstacles and adversities life throws at us to be creative - the situations, the emotions, the conflicts, solutions or outcomes. Through discipline we realise our full potential as writers.

Keep writing....

11 comments:

  1. Ah discipline - otherwise known as a kick up the bottom! This post has been just that so I'm off to do some writing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Diane, that's the bane of my writing life! That lack of self-discipline has held me back for far too many years - and as, Teresa so rightly says, we sometimes need that kick up the backside. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two mantras that I keep repeating: Just do it, and don't put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa - LOL. Hope you did get some writing done x

    Rosemary - thank you. Yes, I must remind myself too. x

    Rae - Awww thank you x

    Maggie May - So very true. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true, discipline is very important. I'm getting better. A bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patsy - I'm trying to make discipline a habit of mine. Trying! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, discipline counts for a lot. Not that I'm disciplined myself. Hmm, maybe there's a lesson there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mr V. I have to say, lately I've been focusing on being disciplined and have been truly happy with the writing I've been getting done. Well worth it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same mantra as Maggie, 'Just Do it' and a workable list each week. I am making progress. And...yes I'm happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maria - thanks for leaving a comment. I like the idea of your workable list. I have to admit being Disciplined is working well for me by me getting writing done and I enjoy that sense of accomplishment/satisfaction at the end of my day! x

    ReplyDelete