Monday, February 6, 2012

STEPHEN KING - ON WRITING

‘If you don’t have the time to read, you don’t have the time or the tools to write.’ I’ve been doing a large amount of reading, and I did wonder if that was me procrastinating. Apparently not. In fact I’ve been making time and gathering tools to write.

Part of the book ‘On Writing’ shows incidents and life situations which made Stephen King the writer he is today and the rest is on writing itself.

Here are some of the things that Stephen King said about writing that stood out for me:

There is no Idea Dump, no Story Central, no Island of the Buried Bestsellers: good story ideas seem to come quite literally from nowhere, sailing at you right out of the empty sky. Two previously unrelated ideas come together and make something new under the sun. Your job isn’t to find these ideas but to recognise them when they show up.

Periods of idleness followed by periods of workaholic frenzy. (This really struck a chord in me.)

The Great Commandment – Read a lot, write a lot.

In the end, it’s about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well.

‘On Writing’ was a worthwhile read for me. It showed me that even a writer of Stephen King’s calibre travelled the roller coaster ride of the writer’s journey to get where he is today.

Keep writing…. J

19 comments:

  1. That is a brilliant book On Writing - I have read it more than once :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa - I had a feeling you may have read that book. x

      Delete
  2. It is a good book - I found it hopeful and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a relief to know that such a brilliant writer has travelled along the same path as many of us. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rae - I have to say does give us all a little ray of hope. :-)

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed it too. It's not on my bookshelves so must have borrowed it from the library. Will try to order it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie May - It is a book I would probably read again too. :-)

      Delete
  5. 'good story ideas seem to come quite literally from nowhere, sailing at you right out of the empty sky.'

    Yes, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie - He did put that quite nicely didn't he? Thanks for leaving a comments. :-)

      Delete
  6. I also love that book and you've just reminded me that my daughter still has my copy! And reading is essential for a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary. Us and our daughters. I had to laugh. A while back I was searching for one of my Stephen King books and after a visit to my daughter's house.. there it was sitting on her book shelf, lol. (It's back on my shelf now!) x

      Delete
  7. Hello Diane. There's little I can say about this writery stuff. Figured I'd tell you that rather than walk away saying nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mr V, and for that I thank you. It is nice for me to know that you did stop by. I appreciate that. x

      Delete
  8. Hi Patsy - It was. Has put me in a good head space for writing. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love that book. I dip into it several times each year. An inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Shirley, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I am sure I will be reading it again in the future. I loved the way the book left me feeling inspired and hopeful. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Diane, I haven't read the Stephen King book - but it sounds worth getting hold of. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sally, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do appreciate that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are welcome Anon. Thanks for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete